Like his best-selling book series A Song of Ice and Fire, which was brought to screen by the cast of Game of Thrones from 2011 to 2019, the 72-year-old American novelist has reportedly struck another deal with the network.
While ‘no writer or talent is currently attached to the project,’ the outlet’s sources said it is being considered a ‘high priority’ as HBO seeks to capitalize on the massive success of Game of Thrones.
More to come: A TV adaptation of George R. R. Martin’s Tales of Dunk and Egg, a prequel to the events of Game of Thrones, ‘is in early development at HBO,’ according to Variety
The trilogy of fantasy novellas in the Tales of Dunk and Egg include The Hedge Knight (1998), The Sworn Sword (2003) and The Mystery Knight (2010).
In 2015, the trio, which is set a century before before the events of A Song and Ice and Fire, were complied and published together as A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.
The one-hour program marks the second Game of Thrones prequel to be made, as HBO is also set to release the series House of the Dragon in 2022.
While ‘no writer or talent is currently attached to the project,’ the outlet’s sources said ‘it is a high priority for HBO as the premium cabler looks to build on the success of Game of Thrones; Martin seen in 2019
Prolific writer: Like best-selling book series A Song of Ice and Fire, which were brought to screen by the cast of Game of Thrones from 2011 to 2019, the 72-year-old American novelist has reportedly struck another deal with the network
In December, it was announced through the series’ official Twitter account that production on its prequel House Of The Dragons would begin in 2021.
The news also came with two images of concept art from the show’s production team depicting two dragons, one with a full body and another with just a head.
The announcement also came with two images of concept art from the production team depicting two dragons, one with a full body and another with just a head.
Prequel: In 2015, the trio, which is set a century before before the events of A Song and Ice and Fire, were complied and published together as A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
Development on the prequel was first reported by Deadline, and it was noted that both series creator and Colony co-creator Ryan Condal would be helming the new show, along with Michael Sapochnik.
The story for House Of The Dragon is reportedly built upon an original idea from Ryan Cogman, who served as an executive producer on the initial series.
Martin’s prequel novel Fire And Blood, which was released in 2018, is also being named as part of the source material for the series.
Back for more: The Game Of Thrones prequel series House Of The Dragon will begin production in 2021, as announced on Thursday
Getting the word out: The announcement was made through the Game Of Thrones official Twitter account, along with two pieces of concept art
The first season of the series is expected to run for 10 episodes, and writing was announced to have begun in January, with a casting search beginning in July; the show is tentatively slated to arrive in 2022.
WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar shared an update about the filming of the project during his statement regarding the company’s collaboration with HBO Max last month, and stated that principal photography was set to begin in a few months
The show will be set in the same world of the original series, albeit 300 years earlier, and will follow the depict the rise of House Targaryen to power in Westeros.
The only cast member that has been confirmed as of yet is Paddy Considine, who will portray King Viserys Targaryen.
Way, way back: The series is set to depict the rise of House Targaryen 300 years before the events of the original series
House Of The Dragon was not the only intended successor that was based off of the critically acclaimed series, as five separate projects in the franchise were reported to have been in development at certain stages.
Another prequel series, entitled Bloodmoon, was previously a forerunner for broadcast, and was set to occur 10,000 years before the start of Game Of Thrones.
A pilot for the series wrapped production in September of 2019, and starred Naomi Watts alongside Tony Regbo, Ivanno Jeremiah, and Jamie Campbell Bower, among others.
However, the potential successor show was passed on a month later in favor of House Of The Dragons.